Friday, April 20, 2018

New Jung Dong Ha?

I am a little nervous. I am worried that under the new agency Jung Dong Ha may be gradually changing his image into less youthful, less crazy, less playful, less surprising , but more subdued, more tame, and therefore more bland singer. More predictable as an artist, less inclined to take any risks, or to put any unusual ideas into his live performances. Not as fearless, not trying new things?

Maybe it is way premature for me to worry about it. It's been only about a month since the new agency took him under their wing.  However I'm beginning to think they are trying to create more "mature" image of him. It starts with the choice of first song that they promote; the remake of  the old movie song, "If You Love". It is very sentimental, mellow, sad. Not that I dislike the song - I actually totally accept it, and appreciate the gentle style of it. I'm enjoying it every day. It warms up my heart.

But I can't help but feel some sort of anxiety, because I'm unsure about Jung Dong Ha.
Has he decided that now that he is a daddy, he should change into a more dignified guy? But why?! Regardless of his family situation, he is still young, and looks much younger than his real age! What is that talk about soon reaching the age of 40, when in reality it will be in 2 years?
Is his agency pushing these ideas into his head? Are they trying to re-make his image into some sort of Korean Michael Buble?
In recent few days the promotional events for the new song are very intense. Dongha has been singing it at a various of programs, both live, as well as doing recordings in some TV studios, for later broadcast,  trying to reach as wide an audience as possible.  He continues to put overly tragic expression on his face, presumably because the song is sad.  I noticed that his styling is not that great - the stuff he wears seems to be kind of old fashioned, more suitable for a fuddy-duddy. Also, he wears more heavy make-up, than he used to. Even in his promotional pictures his face looks unnaturally brushed.
He really doesn't need that "I am becoming old person" stuff. It's too early to be doing that at his age.
The weekend is coming, and there will be a couple more live appearances, and the broadcast of the recorded 'Yoo Hee-yul's Sketchbook' TV show. I hear that the host is saying that Dongha's fans are housewives. This annoyed me to the maximum. That person already said the same thing 4 years ago! Why say a thing like this, it's not very original! Couldn't he think of something more intelligent to say?
It is not relevant to artist's accomplishments, what kind of people are his fans. At least it shouldn't be relevant. Artist should express his creativity, and accept the people who love him, and want to support him. The kind of fans Dongha has, should not reflect upon his style. He should be himself, that's it.
I fear, that his agency may be trying to put into his head something like: "your fans are all those housewives, ("adjuhmas"); and you know what stuff  housewives like - cheesy and sentimental, weepy stuff. They have very unsophisticated tastes. So you should deliver what the old ladies want".

OMG, I am torturing myself too much!  I should not overthink, and just wait and see.